DIY vs. Professional Electrical Projects
If you’re a homeowner, then you’ve probably thought about doing home projects yourself rather than hiring someone else to do it. When it comes to electrical projects for the home, there are lots of YouTube videos out there that claim to tell you everything you need to know.
While doing projects on your own can save you money, there are some electrical projects that should definitely be left to licensed electricians. Here are some things to consider before tackling that electrical project on your own.
Should I DIY it?
There are a few factors in play when you’re deciding whether to DIY that electrical project. These include:
- Your skill. Have you done a project like this before? Do you know what to do and how to keep yourself safe while you’re doing it? If you’re not sure, it’s better to hire an electrician than to take any chances with your electricity.
- Your time. You may be able to figure out a DIY electrical project but how much time do you want to spend on it? Most of the time, a licensed electrician can get the job done faster than you can!
- Your money. Sure, you could save quite a bit of money if you tackle that project yourself, but you could lose a lot if you mess something up or can’t complete it and have to call in a professional. It’s usually cheaper to just hire someone from the beginning than it is to hire them halfway through!
Projects to Save for the Professionals
There are a few types of projects that you should definitely save for the professionals, no matter how extensive your electrical training (unless you work as an electrician every day!). Always call in the pros when you need to:
- Work on your breaker or fuse box. This is complicated work and any mistakes made while working on your circuit breaker or fuse box could be incredibly costly. Give us a call and let us handle it for you!
- Rewiring. If a portion of your home needs rewiring, you want to make sure the job is done well this time!
- Extensive electrical work. If you’re doing something like putting in new circuits, let the professionals tackle it!
These electrical jobs are not only detailed and involved, but they can be dangerous, too. Call us at 24-7 Electrical Services and we’ll tackle any electrical project your home needs.